We all know the feeling too well..... all of a sudden your lower stomach is bulging, your fitted clothes are almost unbearable, and all you want to do is go to the bathroom to get some relief! Almost everyone can agree that being bloated is one of the most uncomfortable, unflattering, and annoying feelings, yet we all deal with it far too often.
So what causes it?
This can be a number of things but here's a few of the most common:
Food intolerance or sensitivity - meaning your body has a tough time digesting certain foods
Water retention - meaning your body is holding onto excess water
Too much food or air - if you eat too fast or eat too much at one sitting your stomach may swell
What can you do about it?
Here's my top 10 ways to reduce bloating to have you feeling lighter and tighter in no time:
1. Eat slowly and mindfully - take your time, opt for high protein meals with clean carbs, the slower you eat the less air you'll gulp down along the way!
2. Take a walk - nothing intense, just take a leisure walk around the restaurant after your date night, or throw on your shoes and walk around your neighborhood, this will help move gas out of your system.
3. Drink more water - even though you feel puffy and full, try to drink down extra water, this will help digestion along and hydrate your body so it doesn't need to hold on to any extra water.
4. Pass on the gum - avoid chewing gum, as it can cause you to swallow excess air and the sugar alcohol can be hard to digest.
5. Take it easy on carbonation - watch out for bubbles, try not to order soda, sparkling water, beer, or champagne and choose something to sip on that is flat.
6. Avoid certain veggies - some high fiber veggies are harder to digest than others, such as beans, broccoli, cauliflower, and onions, instead try asparagus, celery, tomatoes, or cucumbers.
7. Hot tea - after your meal try sipping on some tummy-soothing herbal teas, such as ginger, dandelion root, or peppermint tea to aid in digestion as some of these are diuretics and some are GI relaxants.
8.Take an epsom salt bath - soak for about 20 minutes to draw water out from your body and eliminate toxins.
9. Yoga - specifically child's pose and happy baby pose can relieve gas and promote healthy digestion.
10. Eat greek yogurt - greek yogurt has probiotics which can help keep healthy bacteria in your gut and your digestion moving efficiently.
Our Recent Posts
10 Self-Care Items I LOVE Right Now
February 12, 2019
Top 10 Ways to Reduce Bloat
August 23, 2018
I drank celery juice everyday for a week...here's what happened
August 12, 2018
I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!